Wednesday, May 23, 2007

rest in peace squeaky

Sadly... the cat that we have been trying to domesticate was struck by a car this evening.. we mourn our little friend squeaky.. a great little cat who was only weeks away from finding a good home.
As I drove up the hill I saw him, lying on the side of the road, blood flowing down the hill.. The rest I won't describe, because I don't even want to think about it.
I pulled into the driveway and rushed out to get something to put him in, I didn't want anyone else to run over him while he was just lying out there...


Speeding is a problem in our neighborhood.. especially since we live on a blind driveway.. there is no doubt in my mind that whoever left this cat to die in the road was speeding down the hill. Below is a note I sent out to my association..


As I write this note I am in tears over the living creature that I just picked up from the middle of the hill with a shovel.
We have been trying to get a feral kitten to trust us enough so that we could eventually get him a good home.
His home will now be in our backyard.

I don't know if it was a neighbor that hit this animal and left it to die in the middle of the road.. I would like to hope that it wasn't.
But I am sending this email out as a reminder to SLOW DOWN WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING DOWN THE HILL!
the posted speed limit is 25 miles an hour. I see cars every day go WAY faster than that.
We have asked at general meetings over and over again for people to slow down and be careful because there are deer and other animals that cross the street here.

this time it was a cat.... let's hope there isn't a next time.

PLEASE SLOW DOWN.
and if you happen to hit an animal.. please take the time to move it from the middle of the road so it isn't run over multiple times.