Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Thoughts on Coretta and sorry I've been gone

Hello blogland..
things have been incredibly crazy as we prepare for our HDTV rollout tomorrow.. so I haven't been around much..
I'm sure I have lots to say about the "state of the onion"
the arrest of cindy sheehan
alito
altoids
and doctors of eldery parents.. ( don't get me started on this one.. it's a rant for one day)
anyway... fear not.. I will return when things calm down a little bit.. probably on friday..
hope everyone is well..

April 27, 1927 - January 30, 2006

One thing that I will take a moment to write about is the passing of Coretta Scott King. Mrs. King was an incredibly graceful woman.. she carried on in the face of ultimate grief and tragedy.. and has always been a friend to the downtrodden.
She spoke once at the local gay pride festivities.. and she was spellbinding.. It was my favorite of all of the pride events I have attended in my adult life.
Part of me wonders if it's a good thing that she has passed now, before she sees the erosion of the civil rights of americans that she and her family endured so much to fight for.

some of my favorite quotes of hers on the subject

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people." (Reuters, 3/31/98)

"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions." (Chicago Tribune, 4/1/98)


She was a true supporter of inclusion and the rights of all.. and she will be terribly missed. I thank you for the work that you did on behalf of gays and lesbians everywhere..

Rest in Peace Mrs. King, may you have already joined with Martin and joyfully walk hand in hand among the clouds..