Sunday, March 13, 2005

Whew.. and janis joplin-esque

whew...
what a couple of days it has been here in the city.
It went from pretty crazy to really insane..
spending the day answering phones since I had no real work to do, I thought I would help out..
calls from people wondering when "their stories" were going to be on..
always makes me chuckle.. I can miss a show and come back a couple weeks later and they are still in the same spot.. sometimes with the same clothes on. :)
Of course the wild speculation begins all day, where could he have gone? a green honda.. one of my players drives one, she's been looked at funny all day long.. people thinking maybe she was the madman.. I for some reason guessed pretty well, I had said I thought he got on MARTA which is exactly what he did..
what a lucky girl that woman was.. the one whose apartment he forced his way into.. I hope he didn't hurt her. Since he has a record of doin that type of thing. which begs the question, why was a rapist left alone in a holding room with a female deputy? these are questions I have. which I won't have an answer to I suppose..
So Saturday I get called into work.. I don't normally.. but this day, a day where I had made lots of plans, is the day.. I call the team and tell them I won't be there for the scrimmage game.. I mention that I have plans and can stay until about 8:15, but have tickets to a concert.. so I get ready and then head into work. Make arrangements for m to catch a ride into the city with friends who are meeting us for the show.
The goddess takes the stage. I first heard of her a few years ago.. we were doing a story on CD prices, and she was interviewed for it.. she gave the reporter her CD, which he gave to me, since I am the musical one. Sadly, it sat in my office for a while.. then m was looking for some new music so I gave it to her.. she instantly fell in love with it.. I did too.. but it took me longer to listen to it.
so a one night only show in the ATL is promised.. and wow! the Cathy Richardson Band CRB is what we call it. Cathy Richardson being the goddess.. She has this amazing voice that I like to call "rough and ready" I am a huge fan of good lyrics.. and her's are wonderful one of her's is now my signature on the bottom of all of my emails

"Forgive me father for I have sinned, I've taken your holy name in vain
against those who have twisted
your message around
and persecute
others
in your name...."
from the song "sinners and saints"

which of course is my own personal favorite cause of all of the debating I do with some folks about certain topics..
The show itself was so much fun but the best part was when all of a sudden she started channelling Janis Joplin.. I mean it was like janis was right there in the room with us. she even began to speak like her.. let me backtrack a bit.. Cathy played Janis in the off Broadway production of the show "love, janis" and there is no doubt why they chose her.. she has the ability to actually become janis.. of course when she sings her own songs.. they are totally different.. but still.. I watched melissa and joss stone sing on the grammys and had to wonder if they even knew Cathy was out there.. her album "road to bliss" was nominated for a grammy a couple years ago for the packaging (it's totally cool), so they must .. but they didn't use her.. I guess she wasn't a big enough name for them.. too bad for them.. she's our own little gem..
take a listen.. you too might love her..
http://www.crband.com

more later.. it's time for "extreme makeover" and I have already cried once while watching the intro.. it's probably the best show on tv..
biscuit ....out