Tuesday, May 30, 2006

BBQs, Wet Dog and spazzin

Hope everyone had an enjoyable 3 day weekend for the holiday! Butter and I went to the local arts festival and had a great time! Then off to a holiday BBQ on sunday afternoon, where lots of old friends (and our newest friend, our lil baby!) had gathered.. we didn't anticipate staying as long as we did.. (sorry G&D) it was well after 11pm before we left.. but we were just chatting and laughing with friends and you know how time flies! Lots of babies there to play with too! One of them was a wee little boy who was about 2 who was the absolute biggest flirt! I loved him! But then I love babies!
Monday, Butter and I just planned to hang around the house, which we did.. but we were taken in by a Dairy Queen commercial late in the afternoon.. we looked at each other.. you know the look.. and keys were grabbed and off we went.. with our dog to get some ice cream!
On our drive, we went by the lake in our neighborhood.. our Neighbors were out with their kids swimming so we stopped by to say hello.
This pic was taken earlier.. not the day of.. just to give you an idea of where we were!

So our dog is AFRAID of water.. and I mean afraid.. any kind of water! bath water, squirt bottled water.. the hose.. a pool.. anything.. we took her out to a different lake once and she wouldn't even walk on the dock she was so afraid.. But we had her out with us at the "beach"


and she went over to drink some water.. to our absolute shock.. she let her paws get wet.. and then she started digging in the sand right in the water.. so we thought.. well, maybe its a good time to get her used to water.. Neither one of us were dressed for swimming.. but I went in up to my knees, threw some sticks in and we actually got her to SWIM! She was so excited and having such a good time! we are going to try to make it a recurring event so she gets used to the water.. Something traumatic must have happened to her before we got her.. cause I'm tellin ya she is really afraid of water.. I had the BBQ grill out on saturday and picked up the hose to water something and she nearly ran right into the grill trying to get away!
So we were excited that she seemed to be into playin in the water.. and also of course I played a bunch with the kids in the water too.. they were chasin me, and jumpin on my shoulders (not in a hard way or anything.. but like piggyback riding)
We had a blast but we were out there for hours when we hadn't planned on being out at all.. and since we had to both shower ourselves and give the dog a bath.. well.. no DQ for us.. But still had a blast!

Which brings me to the spazzin part.. I get to work tuesday morning and I am sitting in my office chair working, and talking with two of my co-workers.. and all of a sudden.. I got this pain underneath my right shoulder blade that felt like someone stabbed me. It felt like a muscle spasm, but it was SO intense I couldn't breathe, my co-worker looked really concerned and I apparently turned several different colors.. (technicolor biscuit!?) She asked if I needed an ambulance (I said no) and kept asking if I was ok.. I said yes, but no.. and I needed a second.. It wasn't getting any better.. but I mean.. what are ya gonna do right? I knew it was only a muscle spasm.. I just couldn't get it to calm down.. she got my bag and I took a muscle relaxant.. hoping that would do the trick.. She asked me if I wanted her to drive me to the ER (I must have looked like Hell I tell ya.... I again said no) It took a while but I finally could get a deep breath in.. I have to say I was a lil scared for a few minutes.. but it finally got to a semi manageable point..I couldn't lift my right arm up at all and I really needed to get some heat on it... of course.. there was nothing there that would be helpful.. she called the HR person to see if there was anything in the first aid kit..(there wasn't) so the HR person then came down.. asked if I had someone who could drive me home if I needed it (yes.. but wasn't planning on going home) and asked if she could do anything (short of a massage.. um.. no.. and I wasn't asking her for that!)

My co-worker who was right there with me the whole time was so concerned, so helpful (she actually did try to massage it out..and we joked about how we were probably breaking some harrassment rule) Finally she ran out to a local pharmacy and picked up a therma care wrap.. and it helped tremendously.. I was afraid every time I moved that I was going to set it off again.. fortunately though I didn't.. but wow.. it really affected my whole day.. and I think maybe it was the swimming around and playing with the kids that did it. So I got home and crashed on the couch with a heating pad and a Zanaflex for a few hours.. Butter made me dinner, which was wonderful (thank you honey) and I kinda just zoned in and out for a while..
So, that was my first day back at work after the long holiday weekend.... how was YOURS????