Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mary Cheney

So that there is no confusion, let me be clear.
I despise Mary Cheney.
It’s not a strong dislike.
I actually despise her.




And I don't feel that way about many people. I have absolutely no respect for her.
Now, Ms. Cheney has come out with a book that chronicles how tough it has been for her to be a lesbian when her father is part of the most hateful administration this country has ever seen. I'm sure that it must have been a difficult thing. But that is where my empathy for her stops. She worked diligently to make sure that her father and bush were re-elected in 2004. And now we are supposed to feel sorry for her? I don't think so.
Suuuure now her father says that he is against the constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, but.. What is he DOING about it? NOTHING. He sits back and says nothing and does nothing and allows Mr. Bush to run roughshod over the constitutional rights of gay Americans. Being Complicit and just allowing it to happen is no better than going out and campaigning for it.
Now Mary Cheney wants us to know that it has been so very difficult for her.. She won’t comment when asked if she thinks that every day gay folk might be upset with her for not speaking out sooner (and for doing it in a book, stead of going out and TALKING about it. Most overheard answer in every Mary Cheney interview this week "well you'll have to read the book". Or "it's in the book". Also cause she doesn't want to make "sweeping generalizations" about gay people. Even though the people in her party make sweeping generalizations about gay people all the time.)

I'm sure it must have been difficult having a father who is the evil ruler of a corporatist America, that is bordering on Facism more and more every day.. One has to wonder why now Mary Cheney? Why now? Are we trying to somehow soften the image of the GOP by making them seem, "not so bad" cause they let you be a part of them?
I'm not sure how she wakes up and looks at herself, or her partner every day. And what about that life partner of hers.. What self-respecting lesbian would be her partner to begin with? As an out lesbian, many of us have worked for YEARS to get lesbians, gays and transgender folks equal rights under the laws of this country, and we have slid backwards considerably since Bush and Cheney have been in office. We have been under attack for 6 years now.
It must be ok to be gay if you are the rich white daughter of the vice president.. But the rest of us all can go straight to hell. Does Mary Cheney feel sorry for us?
Does she feel bad about the position she has put many of her gay friends in? (Does she HAVE any gay friends?) I just don't understand how any self respecting Lesbian could go out and actively work for a campaign that is so hate filled and made their PLATFORM one of divisiveness and hate for gay Americans. I mean they don't just tolerate it. They CAMPAIGN for it. THAT to me is a big difference.
So, I asked myself. What if it was me?
I can't say that I would react the same way.
I can love my father and not agree with his politics. In fact, I DO love my father and don't agree with his politics.
We aren't talking about some tiny little issue that we would disagree with. We are talking about a father who would be a part of making policy that would adversely affect millions of Americans. If Mary Cheney were a black woman and her father sat by and wanted his administration to pass a constitutional amendment that stated that it was illegal for African Americans to marry. Would she feel the same way?

The analogy that I was thinking of involves, for example if my father was the VP and I had been a doctor, but gave it all up to work for him, and say my wife’s father was a doctor. And Suddenly the president decided that all doctors were bad. Now, we all know that there is nothing wrong with doctors, cause of course, I am one. But for some reason the prez had a bee in his bonnet about doctors.

So, they decided to write in a constitutional amendment banning doctors from practicing in the US. Stupid yes, but just as stupid as a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. So, my dad, knowing full well that there is nothing wrong with doctors, knowing me as is daughter, and having spent time with my wife and her family, doesn’t agree with this harebrained scheme, but does nothing to stop it. And since I work my dad and it’s kind of my job. I don’t speak out against it either even though I am a doctor too. That amendment would be really hurtful to doctors and their families. And it is a ridiculous idea. But the will of the president must go forth. So it continues.
The policies and the general tone of the country created by this administration makes it ok to hate a gay person.. By sitting back and saying nothing both mary and dick perpetuate this atmosphere.. It's the kind of thing that makes people like Fred Phelps think it's OK for them to picket funerals, or spit on people like me because I am not worthy to be in his presence. Heck not worthy of being alive.. So I take these things very seriously. Until you have been spat upon by Phelps and his gang of thugs, as I have, one really can't tell me that I should be feeling anything but contempt for these people.


Flash forward to a book I am writing about how difficult my life is having been a doctor and not understanding why doctors everywhere have no respect for me and why doctors across America don’t understand why I didn’t speak out.
That is sort of how I see it on a grander scale.

Mary Cheney is part of a group of Americans who are attacked, oppressed and misunderstood. The Republican Party is one who likes to make one issue the lightning rod of their campaign. The past two campaigns have been gay marriage.


I was asked if I was going to read Mary Cheney's book. The answer there is a resounding NO. I have no desire to hear how "difficult" it was for her. If she wants to read my book about how difficult it was to live as a lesbian under her father's rule. Then perhaps I could read it, until then it is nothing more to me than kindling for a nice fire.