Sunday, March 13, 2005

extreme makeovers

So I am sitting here in a puddle of my own tears. They are happy tears..
someone told me I should watch "extreme makeover home edition"
I checked it out a while back.. Every Sunday night I have a good cry..
There is a lot to be said for cryin..
This particular show centered around the cutest little girl named Kassandra.. she has been fighting cancer, and is currently in remission. she makes beaded necklaces to sell to raise money to redecorate the hospital ward..
She sent a tape to ABC, not for herself, but for the team to makeover the hospital ward where she was getting her treatment, cause it was all white walls and very clinical looking.. So, here's a little kid, who has fought harder than most, just to stay alive. And didn't want anything for herself, she just wanted to help the kids there to have something nice around them while they were working to feel better.
So a group of Disney imagineers head over to the hospital to help her decorate it.. (Ty had made her the team leader, and secretly the EX crew was actually renovating the family's house, not just renovating.. but bulldozing and building.
I've watched Ty Pennington since his days on "Trading Spaces" but this show is so much more than a decorating show.
It's just about helping people. How good it must be to have a job where all you do is go in and help people.. by giving them the one thing that everyone wants, a nice home. And these are people who have had things like fires, or something horrible happen to them, or they have been sick or something.. and every episode makes me cry..
so in the middle of the show is janine turner hawking something called "restasis" that helps you body's ability natural ability to create tears.. um? hello?? I mean I suppose it's a good place for this ad, cause if you aren't crying by the time they have revealed the new home to the homeowner, then either you need some tear replacement drops, or you have a heart of stone.
it just seemed like odd placement cause M and I were both sniffling and wiping away tears..
part of the big part of this particular story is centered around a book that the guys from the show wrote based on the tape that the family sent in.. so they hired an illustrator to write a book about butterflies and a healing tree.. I know that they made it for the family but I think it would be a wonderful thing to publish the book and have the proceeds donated to cancer research.. sign me up for a case..
and add a case of kleenex also.. Cause I'm gonna need it..