Wednesday, June 15, 2005

just like me....they long to be...close to you...

Yawn....
nothing to do tonight.. work is nonexistent..
so on our dinner break, my producer and I took off to borders books and more and I picked up a copy of IG "Rarities" that I think was released either yesterday or today..

Harmony.....

I can remember many years ago with my record player in overdrive.. listening to every kind of music I could get my hands on.. my favorite then.. and now would have to be hands down... The Carpenters..
Richard Carpenter is a genius at musical arrangement.. and Karen.. wow.. the main thing that drew me to her was the fact that she was the only female drummer I had ever seen in my young life.. even in those ball gowns.. she was back there keeping time.. Part of me thinks that if they had allowed her to remain behind the snares, she might still be with us today..
Unfortunately when they pushed her out front and center into the spotlight, she became the focus of all things wrong with the entertainment industry.. you think that they would have learned a hard lesson from her death.. but they did not. They pushed her to be "thin", it crawled into her psyche and never left..
But that voice.. no matter what kind of mood I was in.. that voice took me to my happy place... and still does..
Music for me has always been a wonderous thing.. nothing makes me happier than that very first time I listen to a CD.. You know.. before you know all the words to all the songs and sing along.. The purity of the first time listening is something that someone else has created is something I treasure..
The harmonies that Richard and Karen created in the studio were to me, such an amazing thing.. There was no way they could ever re-create some of that live.. but I would never have the opportunity to see that, as Karen died well before I started going to concerts.
Christmas is never quite the same without the Carpenters christmas albums.... There are few other musical acts that I can say bring me that much joy.. and believe me.. everyone in my life thinks it's silly that I so enjoy The Carpenters..
Once when I was putting myself through school working at a florist, I had to actually make a delivery to Karen's crypt. It has since been moved, but it was very cool to be able to pay my respects.
For me, it's all about the harmony and the lyrics.. though a little head banging and some good 80's music every once in a while is fun too.. I enjoy listening for all of the little nuances that an artist may put in a song.. be it the use of a word or phrase, or a note, chord.. people who can create music to me are to be revered.
The Beach Boys were another one of those bands who could put together a song that if you picked it apart, every aspect of it would be its own piece of art.
I was introduced to the indigo girls many many years ago.. a cassette single that has long since been worn into oblivion.. Musically they have evolved from the two girls with guitars that they started out as.. Each brings their own piece to the puzzle and together it is woven into beautiful music.
Lyrically you have the poetic musings of love, lost love and hope that ES brings to the table.. and the socio-political controversy and angst that AR brings.. Each of them is so different in their styles, yet together it is magic.

There are few artists that can truly touch your soul and take you to a different place.. for me it is the carpenters.. joni mitchell is another..for some it is the indigo girls.. jackson brown, carly simon.. we are fortunate to have a bounty of quality songwriters and musicians..
There is a whole other genre in the hip hop, rap area that is for another discussion.. but artists like snoop dogg, eminem, ludacris... all

currently loggins and messina are on the view singing "your mama don't dance.. and your daddy don't rock and roll".. they are another group.. nice harmonies..


so, go listen to your favorite artist and head to your happy place..