Monday, March 14, 2005

Last respects and oooh that smell

Up and out early today as I go and meet with the doc to see how we are doing with pain meds..Along the way I notice what had to be just an overwhelming sight from the sky.Lining the side median of 85 nothbound was every police car it seemed in the metro area, as I am listening to mr. Boortz, I find out that it is for the procession of the immigration officer who was shot and killed in the courthouse rampage.. they are taking him home to Salisbury, N.C where he will be laid to rest. It was probably a 5 mile stretch of road, and there were just patrol cars and swat trucks and every kind of police vehicle you could imagine. I was hoping that I would finish in time to head back up the interestate and find a place to park and pay my respects, but I got behind the procession and stuck in the worst traffic jam in my recent memory, and it didn’t really matter to me. I’m sure there were those out there who were pissed to be sitting on the road not moving,, but I figured it is the least we could do.
I got a call over the weekdend that one of my cousins ( I think, I'm not exactly sure of the lineage, he is my cousin's brother.. so I'm gonna have to check on that..) passed away unexpectedly. He was a decorated Army guy, 2 terms in Vietnam, piloted a helicopter I believe.. I didn' know him very well, but went to visit him on one of my last visits home. His home was filled with all things army.. He was a very nice man. Even though I wasn't close to him, I am saddened when any member of my family passes over. I feel for those left behind. His mother, whom I adore, and my cousin, the one person I wanted desperately to be like when I grew up.. who knew in a silly kind of way, I ended up being just that. I never saw much of her growning up, but I loved our little moments when they happened.. She was one of the first female police officers in the city I believe.. and then went on to a brief stint serving the govt. I though she was so cool.. I remember seeing her handcuffs once, on a visit.. from that moment on I wanted to be just like her.. a police officer..
I went to school on a scholarship from the local police department, when I finished I was to enter the police academy.. I changed my mind and opted for a career in Televsion.. weird flip huh? I always thought so, but looking back, it was the career for me.. So to my family, though I can't be with you, you know that I am there with you in spirit, and on the phone a lot. :) But we all know that he's gone home and in no pain.. and we can remember him the way that he was.. So I did some gardening yesterday.. doesn’t sound like much, but it is a major feat to me considering where I was six months ago.. granted I didn’t do that much and I was very, very careful, but it felt good to be out in the fresh air, diggin in the dirt, smelling all the smells that go along with working in the yard.. It was a brilliant day..