Friday, April 22, 2005

The Grand Basilica


MVC-099F
Originally uploaded by atlbiscuit.

It's been a busy few days....
my grandfather and his brothers and fathers were church builders..
Catholic churches..
in New England..
I grew up in a small mill town in New England..
Family lived within blocks of each other..
Sunday was a day for family.. and church, not necessarily in that order..
Bean suppers on saturdays.. and lots of love.
So this grand church, that I recall always being pointed out to me as a child as the church that my grandfather built.. it is a proud part of our heritage..
So when Pope John Paul designated this church to become a basilica, the only one in the state and one of only roughly 50, it was a pretty big deal. It was one of the last things he did before he died..
There are many criteria for this designation.. a special nod from the vatican, that you are worthy of the term..
Words can't describe the pride..
This huge stone church was built by hand.. they didn't have cranes back then.. just pulleys and ropes and strong men.. the yellowed photo album, brought out when we are all together..
going through the history of things..
wondering if I will remember all of what I am being told to pass on later in life..
Notes are a good thing..
So, now the mayor will recognize the surviving family members in a ceremony during the week of festivities before the dedication mass..
For years I have heard about how the brothers that built this church never got the recognition they deserved.. the architects always got it, but not the men who did the work... and let me tell you.. they did some work..
the franco american community built this church literally with nickles and dimes.. a little at a time.. I believe it was nearly 30 years from start to finish..but what a grand church it is..
I am happy that for my mother, her sisters and brothers and my aunt.. the eldest remaining member of the original family and for all who are children of the brothers.. that they will finally get their due.
I think everyone is so shocked that they aren't sure that it is real or what to think.. it's one of those things where, well, the people in the town know the history.. why didn't they just do it before.. and well.. the squeaky wheel gets the grease is what I say.. I made one phone call.. that got the ball rolling.. and here we go..
I hope that I will be able to make it home for the festivities..
I'm hopeful..
in the meantime I will coordinate things from here.. so far the media has been good, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about.. they are hungry for the story.. all I have to do is point them in the right direction..
so back to the phones..
see ya in blogworld!