Monday, April 25, 2005

GROUP SEX!!!!!!!!

This morning I'm sure there are other Atlantans who are groggy and chugging coffee at work after a very late night last night.
Amy Ray had her new album release and show at the Variety Playhouse.. I LOVE this album, it's kind of 80's punk, very political and lots of fun.. my favorite song "let it ring" is an anthem and I LOVE it.

Let It Ring


When you march stand up straight.
When you fill the world with hate
Step in time with your kind and
Let it ring

When you speak against me
Would you bring your family
Say it loud pass it down and
Let it ring

Let it ring to Jesus ‘cause he sure’d be proud of you
You made fear an institution and it got the best of you
Let it ring in the name of the one that set you free
Let it ring

As I wander through this valley
In the shadow of my doubting
I will not be discounted
So let it ring

You can cite the need for wars
Call us infidels or whores
Either way we’ll be your neighbor
So let it ring

Let it ring
in the name of the man that set you free
Let it ring

And the strife will make me stronger
As my maker leads me onward
I’ll be marching in that number
So let it ring

I’m gonna let it ring to Jesus
Cause I know he loves me too
And I get down on my knees and I pray the same as you
Let it ring, let it ring
‘Cause one day we’ll all be free
Let it ring



the other song that I am drawn to is "Rural Faggot"
which is kind of a coming out song in the south.
part of it goes as follows:

I’m just a magnet for the rural faggots.
They come and knock on my door
Just to find they’re running out of time
To figure out what they come here for.

I know you want to know the truth
And I’m the dyke who will give it to you.
By this time next year
you’ll know you’re queer
It’ll all be okay
It’ll all be clear
And you’ll run away from home
But not to be alone
And you’ll go down to the city
Where the boys are pretty

And where you feel strong
Strong enough to stay
Strong enough to be
A country boy who’s gay.


check out her album here
www.daemonrecords.com/amy/index.htm


The entire show was rocking.. and after Amy played.. Group Sex took the stage..
This is a band made of members of other bands who do covers of all of the best that 80's rock has to offer.. from Prince to Ozzy (and occasionally Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl" just for fun.)
The crowd was raucous, Tanner at one point stage diving into the crowd.. The band did a version of amy's song "compromise" which was really cool.. and then Emily came out and did "Play that funky music" which had to be the most fun, cause they all looked like they were having a ball.
Of course they covered "Closer to fine" with the whole crowd singing along.
Group Sex is a band that doesn't play out all that often, in fact the last time they played was 2 years ago.. so when you find out they are playing, you just book the day.. knowing that is where you need to be to experience it.. there is something about an all girl band just rippin on guitars and covering some serious rock.. it is a religious experience. I danced for the first time in a few years.. and while I was afraid to get up in the morning.. I woke up in no pain.. and thanked the gods!

Amy by herself is pretty much an experience. If you like punk-ish music..
But group sex is just fun ( hey get yer mind outta the gutter.. i'm talking bout the band!) hi Turtle!
The lead singer of the band was front and center in the mosh pit years ago when we went out to clubs.. many a night was spend slamming into each other and having a ball.. It was interesting last night in that the name of Amy's album is "Prom" ( and the photos in the album are PRICELESS! and it's kind of a meandering through high school and the events that go on in your life during that time, so within the crowd of partygoers were people I haven't seen in 10 years or so, people we went clubbing with almost every night.. people who spend 4 days on my deck when a 4th of July party just refused to die.. so, here are all these people last night, hugging hello, asking "how you been?" and vowing to be better about keeping in touch. These were people that were like a second family.. we had christmas in July together one year since we had all gone home for the holidays and we wanted to have one for ourselves.. and yet, with time, we have all fallen away from each other, in our daily lives, which sometimes happens, and sometimes needs to happen.. a cleansing of people is sometimes a good thing.. but all it takes is one monumental show, and there we all are..
We took a "reunion" photo, which fit well with the theme of the album.. It was a blast..the whole evening.. Will we keep in touch? probably not.. will we see each other at other shows.. oh.. most definitely.. but as I looked at my wife, and the group that we actually went to the show with; 3 couples and a couple of single friends,the bells went off and I realized that like high school friends, time changes you and the people you choose to have in your life..

Let it Ring....