Saturday, April 30, 2005

wow.. it was all cold feet

One the one hand.. thank the gods that Jennifer Willbanks was found alive..
after over a decade working in news, I certainly had my doubts..
there were no leads.. nothing.. nada.. she just vanished.
it was reminiscent of the Shannon Melendi case many years ago.. girl goes to a store.. girl vanishes.. they never found her..
So when I was channel surfing in the middle of the night tonight I was absolutely floored when they reported that Jennifer called home from New Mexico, that she had been kidnapped, that she was alive.. I can't tell you the scene in Duluth, it was an absolute party.. hugs all around.. overjoyed..
Of course everyone suspected the fiancee, ala scott peterson or lori hacking's husband it's almost like we've been programmed to think that the boyfriend/husband did it..
I felt bad for him.. the way everyone was looking at him, talking about him. I felt bad for her mother and father.. I watched her mother break down when someone mentioned the wedding at the press conference yesterday.. and I felt bad for Jennifer..
I can only imagine the stress of having a wedding and having all of those expectations placed upon you and feeling like you were going to explode and not being able to talk to anyone about it. But to go to this extreme.. to leave your family just devastated.. thinking you were dead.. how could ANYONE do that?
The turn of events from friday night to saturday morning was just a rollercoaster ride.. it was like the most amazing news you have ever gotten and then being kicked in the stomach.. It went from the whole family jumping on a plane to go and bring her home to the police moving people away from the front door of the house and back behind police tape when the news came down.. and then just mom and dad were going to pick her up.
I just can't imagine what that guy is going through.. I mean, second thoughts, cold feet, whatever you wanna call it, I understand it happening.. I do..
I just wonder how this woman is going to feel when she sees what this town went through to try to find her.. She has said she hadn't seen the news.. she had no idea
they were looking for her on such a grand scale..
The whole situation is sad.. and yet happy.. There are so many news stories that don't have a good outcome.. ever.. that even as F-ed up as this situation is.. I am so glad that Jennifer Willbanks is alive..
the rest will work itself out in time..