Monday, April 25, 2005

Not Fonda Spitting

Jane Fonda… I admire her so much.
A fellow Atlantan, she is one of those people like Cher who keep reinventing themselves..
I admire that..
She has been traveling around the country doing book signings this past couple of weeks..
And the other day, a Vietnam veteran spat on her..
Not just regular old spitting.. a big honkin mouthful of chaw.. (chewing tobacco for you other yanks )
Yeah ok.. I know.. she was a war protestor way back when.. and even now..
I wanna know what kind of man waits patiently in a line, hocks up a big one, spits on a woman and then RUNS AWAY!
Yup.. runs away..
What a coward.
And Jane, she wiped herself off and kept signing autographs while the police had to chase the coward down. She refused to press charges.. I would have.. not only that I would have chased him down and gotten in his face about it.
His excuse? The suspect, is a Vietnam Vet, who told the Kansas City Star that Fonda was a traitor who – quote “spit in our faces for 37 years”. I have seen what war does to people.. it isn’t pretty.. however, you wanna get up in her face and call her a traitor? Fine..
But SPIT? On a WOMAN? On ANYONE?
I guess I was raised better than that. ( hell even neal boortz agrees with me on that one.. and he is no jane fonda fan)
How many times does she have to apologize?
This all happened well before my time, but I cannot imagine that this person ( I will NOT call him a “man” cause he isn’t one.” Has been sitting back planning this little event..
Has he got nothing better to do with his life?
War sucks..
People die..
And people.. some people will ALWAYS be opposed to it.. That’s what this country is all about.. I've heard plenty of soldiers in the iraq war speak out about our right to oppose the war..
I’ve met Ms. Fonda twice.. once at an earth day concert, and once when we were both on the same morning radio show.. She was not what I expected at all.. I guess I expected a big entourage, and there was none and here was this woman standing with a bunch of football players in a parking lot, telling them what a wonderful thing it was that they were doing. And off she went.. alone..
For whatever she did 30 something years ago, she has done a lot of good since then..
She founded G-CAPP
The Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention a worthy program that promotes the healthy development of children. It’s a very cool program..
http://www.gcapp.org/
This year she was the recipeint of an award that my station gives out for her charity work...
I don't understand why it is that people are still harboring a grudge against her for something she said 30 sum odd years ago. It's sad.. She is a wonderful person, who has more than made up for what she did.. Hell, I'm surprised no one has spat in my face for all of the anti war speak I have been spouting off over the past year or so..
so my hat is off to Jane, for overcoming all the things that life has had in store for her, and wiping herself off and keepin on..