Friday, October 07, 2005

Supporting the troops

I don't support the troops fighting in Iraq...
now before you go all ballistic on me, let me explain..
there was a reporter who did a man on the street interview on the radio on my ride home tonight.. he was trying to find out in what tangible way to the people of the United States support our troops.. he walked around times square for over an hour.. monst people didn't even want to TALK about iraq. those who did made his point better than he ever could..
When asked how people supported the troops in iraq, most people couldn't answer, or just said they did in spirit.
So, I realize.. that while I empathize with the troops, and I support them in my heart.. I don't do anything tangible to support them, and that's just wrong.
In years past when there was war, people in the US were asked to conserve fuel, steel and other things.. and with this war, the people in the US are so disconnected from it. Soldiers are coming back changed forever, and they are coming back to a nation that hasn't changed. How is that going to affect them? We barely know what is really going on over there, the news glosses over the events of the day.
So this weekend, I will do some searching and reflection on what I can do to help those who are fighting overseas, and those who have come home and have been changed forever.
what do you do to support the troops?