Friday, May 06, 2005

Judy Ann

Last night after a long evening of even more runaway bride coverage, I headed over to the pool room to meet my wife and some friends who shoot in a pool league on thursdays..
On my way into the place, a woman stopped me.
"ma'am, Lord would you please help a woman down on her luck?"
"sure", I said, "what do you need?"
"oh if you could just get me something to eat?
"ok", I asked, "what would you like?"
"oh I don't know what they have in there."
"How bout a burger?" I asked, her eyes lit up at the thought. "or maybe some chicken?" she asked..
"Sure, whatever you would like" I said to her..
She told me her name was Judy Ann and that someone had stolen her purse, she was able to get a hotel room, and was going to her bank in the morning to see if she could get some money out of her account. She had come up to Atlanta from Jacksonville for mother's day. We made small talk and we went up to the ordering area, she decided on the King burger.. I asked if she would like anything to drink with her meal, "oh, um maybe a beer?" she timidly asked me.. she looked to be in her 50's so I wasn't too worried about buying a beer for her...
We sat down and waited for her food to come, she told me she liked her beer, and she liked her weed too.
I excused myself for a moment to go and let the others know that I was there and that I would join them shortly, as Judy had asked for her meal to go, and drank her beer while she was waiting. My wife came over to meet her and we chatted for a bit, my wife went back over to our friends as Judy ann and I waited for her food.
After the food arrived, she continued to drink her beer, and then invited me back to her hotel room, I thanked her for the offer, but explained that I needed to go to work in the morning, and I had to let my dog out. She gave me a big hug and was going to go to the bathroom and head back to the hotel. I gave her some money and wished her well. She thanked me again..and we parted ways..
The pool hall is a very large room, the part we were in was well away from the bathroom and I couldn't even see the area from where we were, so I was more than a little surprised when Judy Ann approached us a while later, to again ask if I was going back to her hotel with her, and that I could bring my wife.. I again declined, but thanked her for the offer.
She had, apparently been sitting over on the other side of the room, ordering more beer and shots and getting pretty lit.
I felt bad for her, it was obvious she just wanted some company, I invited her to join our group but she didn't want to. She wandered back over to where she had been before.. the bartender then came over to me and told me that she had been asking people all around the bar for drugs..
She came back one more time, to offer the hotel once more, and asked how to get out of the bar, it's a glass fronted building so it's kind of hard to see where the doors are.. I offered to walk her out, and my wife and I walked her to the door.
She hugged me again and then wandered off into the night.. with quite the buzz..
My wife could tell that the interaction upset me and so she explained to me that even if the woman was a drug addict, it was obvious that she needed something, whether it was food, or company or whatever, and that I helped her as best I could..
And that if the bar owners had had a problem with her being there they would have asked her to leave, but "T" the bartender was ok with it, and so I shouldn't be worried..
I've wondered all day today where Judy Ann ended up.. whatever part of her story was true, I hope that she gets home to see her mother this weekend..
I'm off to see my mother-out-law...
may you all have a wonderful weekend with the ones you love..