Thursday, October 13, 2005

flu pandemic

I seem to be writing about politics a lot more than I had planned to when I started doing this, but so many things about what is happening to our country are so upsetting to me, I suppose this is my place to vent.
The latest thing that has me just really seriously concerned is all this talk about the flu pandemic possibility.
I got an email yesterday that spoke about the person in the current administration who would be in charge should the avian flu break out into a pandemic.. in yet another blatant act of cronyism, the man in charge Stewart Simonson has absolutely no experience in health administration or emergency management.. In fact, the only reason he got the job was cause he was a buddy of Tommy Thompson, former HHS Secretary. Simonson's previous job experience? He was a corporate attorney for Amtrak.
Does that make you feel safer about anything? It's another mike brown/FEMA situation all over again.
Now personally I think that the whole avian flu situation is nothing more than karl rove's waving "look over here" to keep all of us focued on something beside all of the indictments and investigations going on at the moment.. At least I hope that's all it is, cause if this thing strikes, we are going to be in a world of hurt..
This guy wouldn't know how to manage an epidemic if even if it was called the Sunset Limited.. (the name of an amtrak train)

So, if you are as concerned about this guy's total lack of qualifications, head over to moveon.org and sign the petition to have him replaced, before it's too late.