Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The L Word

first off for anyone who is wondering I am keeping the top post up at the top of my blog all day.. just cause I want to..


now on with the show....

The L word

A show made about lesbians, marketed to lesbians…
Sort of

I like the rest of “my people” anxiously awaited the premiere of this show,
I wasn’t a big fan of the movie that the producer had made years before, but I was
Willing to give it a chance..

L is for love

Sort of

From the get go, there was so much about this show that was wrong.
The main character seemed to be jenny… jenny who was engaged to tim.. tim not a lesbian
The show meandered through its first season. There was a lot of sex...
well a lot of sex between tim and jenny.. but a lot of sex.. I could do without it..
The deconstruction of bette.. bette had a long way to fall.. but pardon me if I don’t want to watch it.. At some point, you know you are doing something wrong, something that will irreparably damage your relationship.. but still.. no control..
I don’t like watching a committed couple fall apart in my living room.
And the religious right?
Why did you give them a voice? In a show about lesbians, for lesbians, why oh why?
I understand wanting to show how ‘over the top’ they are..
But I don’t invite people who hate me into my living room on a daily basis, and I am more than a little annoyed that you did it under the guise of entertainment..
Did you watch it?
It was not entertaining.
Watching the godly one tell the woman why her baby died..
It was evil
And unecessary.
I see that enough in my everyday life..
I don’t need to see it in a show for me, about me.. thanks though..
I get yelled at a lot..
“You should just be happy”
sorry, I expect more.. Bad writing, plot holes you can fly a C130 through, yeah I know.. I should just like it.
Now in this sophomore season, I hope for better ..
I saw the preview last week, the one that shows the “new” male character.. the one that they “have” to put in there to appeal to a wider audience.. and he disgusts me. He is a filmmaker.. and he has put cameras in the house he will now share with 2 characters.. to exploit them.. you know.. in that lesbian way..
It is vile.
And somehow I am just “supposed to be happy” because after all, they are making this show for me..
Don't get me wrong.. I want to like it.. I really do, but it disappoints me week after week.

Think I’ll pass on the ovations and the kudos, until I see how it ends..

I have high hopes.. and big fears..

just like in life.
that's entertainment!