Saturday, October 22, 2005

Bathroom renovation, courtesy of Wilma

After several days of being glued to the weather channel.. and all the unknowns going on with hurricane wilma, we sadly decided that the trip we were supposed to make to visit my parents would have to be postponed. It really tore me up, and in the end, the storm probably won't hit till well after we were supposed to leave.. but we just couldn't take the chance of getting stuck there.. or being in a massive traffic jam of evacuating residents when we were trying to get home..
We had a wonderfully laid back friday.. went to lunch at an Irish Pub, got a haircut and my brows waxed, since my new glasses really show off my brows.. they needed a little fine tuning.. funny though.. I had never been waxed and was expecting some horrific pain.. one of my friends mentioned that since I have a high pain threshold, it's probably why it didn't bother me..
So after the waxing.. we stopped into Jake's for some Ice cream and headed to the home depot.. picked up some Paint and new floor tiles for our guest bathroom.. we've been meaning to do something with it for a while.. but I had been unable to. Went to Eddie's attic for a benefit for a wonderful musician named caroline aiken, who had been injured in an accident.. it was a great show and I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in like 10 years. lots of fun..
So, today we removed wallpaper.. oh boy what fun that was.. the most heinous.. 1970's decor that I can't even imagine in such a small space.. here's what used to be in there.. it's black and metallic silver

can I get a collective ewwwwwww?
here is the circa 1970 tile that is now on the floor..

the new floor will be a slate with green and blue accents.. here they are laid over the old tiles.. hopefully those will get in on monday

The wallpaper came off pretty easily.. but we still have some cleanup.. we will have to spackle some places and do some light sanding around the shower.. the color we picked is called "false cypress" it's kind of a mossy green.. actually sort of the color of the border of my blog..----------------------------> look over there!
We had already changed out the ceiling.. which had been the kind of acoustic ceiling tiles you find in a office.. not sure why they chose those but they had to go.. we stained and waterproofed some wainscotting and you can see that in the following photo where boo is workin hard on the wall..

Hopefully we will get everything finished this weekend.. if not.. it will be a work in progress for a bit.. but in the long run I think it's going to look great.. the bathroom has these dark wood accents and the fixtures we are putting up are kind of a wrought iron and we will get a new vanity.. cause the old one is white with a black faux marble sink...
should be a fun project.. It was spectacularly cold here today.. fireplace weather.. maybe tomorrow..
I will post new photos as the work progresses.. hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Hope the family in florida is safe and evacuated..